Goal: To help Civic Scholar students feel comfortable and supported at Friday Forums, to prepare the Scholars for the Forum by researching and discussing the topic beforehand, and to connect the Scholars with local leaders in their communities.
Selection Process: Application to be submitted and evaluated by City Club Staff. Applicants are subject to background check.
Time Commitment: 4-5 hours per month
- Willingness to support and connect with diverse high school students
- Represent City Club as needed and requested
- Knowledge of local issues, nonprofits, volunteer opportunities, and local leaders
- Passion for youth civic involvement
- Able to pass background check
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend one Youth Adult Partnership Training (End of October, TBD)
- Attend 3 or more Friday Forums with your assigned school over course of academic year
- Attempt to meet with the Scholars for discussion sessions about Forum material
- Facilitate private Q+A with guest speaker at Forum
- Help the Scholars network with important leaders in their communities
- Help the Scholars coordinate service learning opportunities
- Help plan and attend End-of-Year Celebration (Date TBD)
- Coordinate and communicate with the Civic Scholars Coordinator, school representatives, and co-Ambassadors
The Civic Scholars are from six different high schools: Parkrose, Madison, Jefferson, David Douglas, Early College Academy at NAYA, and Roosevelt. There are 10-20 Scholars from each school and 2-3 Civic Ambassadors assigned to each group of students. The schools alternate weeks so each Friday Forum will only have the Scholars from one school in attendance.
Contact Morgan Fleming, Civic Scholars Coordinator
email@example.com or call 503-228-7231 x3
Civic Scholars in the News - Portland Tribune: Portland City Club to Admit Select High School Students
- City Club Report: Educating Citizens- A City Club report on improving civics education in Portland's high schools
- Coaliton of Communities of Color: Unsettling Profiles
- About AmeriCorps VISTA