Recipient of the 2011 "City Club Award", in recognition of outstanding service to Club and Community
The City Club Award is the highest honor awarded by the Club. It is determined by the Board of Governors and not awarded every year – only in cases where outstanding service to the Club and the community merit it.
In selecting award recipients, the Club’s ideals of dedication to community service, civic engagement and leadership development are considered. Recipients not only ignite a vision of civic engagement through their participation in City Club activities, but contribute to the community and state through their leadership in many other organizations.
Past City Club President Susan Hammer was honored with the City Club Award on June 17, 2011, at the Club's annual meeting.
Susan is a mediator with Dispute Resolution Services, which she formed in 1999. She was a partner at the Stoel Rives law firm for twenty years.
After obtaining her bachelor’s degree with honors from the University of Puget Sound, she then received her law degree from Willamette University College of Law in 1976. Her first legal job was working as a clerk for former City Club President, Sid Lezak in the US Attorney’s Office.
Susan was instrumental in building sustainable funding for City Club.
She joined the City Club in 1981 and just as in the other organizations in which she served, she has been an outstanding leader. She was a member of the Board of Governors from 2004 to 2007 and President in 2007. Susan served on a City Club Task Force to review the Club’s financial health. She then developed the idea and was the driving force to implement a more stable funding base through the Leadership Circle concept in 2005.
Susan is a leader in her profession both in Oregon and nationally. She has mediated over 1,500 disputes and is:
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America from 2005-2011 for Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Named in Oregon Super Lawyers from 2006-2011 and
- Recognized as a Distinguished Fellow in the International Academy of Mediators
Susan’s efforts for the City Club are remarkable in that they were not only accomplished while she maintained a thriving legal practice
but while she also served in so many other organizations.
Susan has been honored not only for her outstanding service but for her leadership in these non-profits.
- Susan chaired the Board of Columbia-Willamette Planned Parenthood from 2001-3 after serving on the Board from 1999. She also led their recent capital campaign. Earlier this year she received the initial Planned Parenthood Award for Transformative Leadership – an award that will be named in her honor for future recipients.
- She served as President of the Multnomah Bar Association in 1987-8 and received the Association’s Highest Award in 2006.
- She continues to serve on the Board of Trustees for Willamette University which started in 1999. She also received Willamette’s Outstanding Alumni Award in 1991.
- She was a member of the Oregon Women's Commission and received their Woman of Achievement Award in 1988.
John Quincy Adams said:
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
By this definition, Susan Hammer is one of the great leaders of our community, and City Club is privileged to have benefited from her vision, her energy and her dedication.